Working with Diverse Cultures
The business environment has changed significantly in recent years thanks to rapid communication, ease of international transport and globalisation of markets and workforces. So it is not unusual to find a workplace which includes culturally blended teams.
However, Cultural differences can impede upon effective communication and interpersonal relationships e.g. miscommunication, missed deadlines, work having to be redone, low team morale and a tense working environment. In the workplace this can occur daily, where people from different cultures interact and are expected to perform and make decisions.
Training which helps staff to appreciate and embrace cultural difference and communicate effectively across diverse cultures can help distinguish a business and give it a competitive advantage. This one day training workshop will help teams and individuals explore the benefits and challenges that come about from having a multicultural workforce, the issues that might surface in diverse groups, and methods for handling conflict.
Delegates will leave with equipped with skills, information and resources that will help them work effectively with colleagues from diverse cultures, deliver a meaningful service and help employers gain a greater return on investment in their diverse workforce.
By the end of this workshop participants will:
- Be aware of the impact of culture on attitudes and behaviour
- Have an appreciation of the positive potential of cultural diversity in the workplace
- Be able to explain the links between culture, communication and the expectation and interpretation of behaviour
- Be equipped with a model to avoid and repair costly misunderstandings and conflicts in intercultural working environments
- Develop skills for improving working relationships and 'getting the job done' in an intercultural context
- Explore the challenges faced by colleagues of diverse cultures living and working in the UK
- Acquire practical tips and tools to help interact positively and sensitively with colleagues from diverse cultures
This course is for all staff and managers
- What is Culture and why is it so important?
- The business benefit of cultural diversity in the workplace
- Cross cultural competence
- Culture and Identity - Who do you think YOU are?
- Culture shock - or expectation vs reality
- Stereotypes, assumptions and perceptions
- The business consequences of poor cross cultural communication
- Recognising your inherent cross cultural competence
- Communicating effectively across cultures
- Anticipating misunderstandings and avoiding conflict
- Agreeing to disagree
- Practical tips and tools for supporting culturally diverse teams
Price and Format
This is a full day workshop. Due to its participatory nature of this session runs best with 8 - 24 delegates. Each course participant receives their own training booklet.
Our price for in-house training at your choice of venue is just £795 per day.
This price includes all materials, facilitator fees and expenses - UK price only. Pricing for courses outside the UK is available on request.
Click here to enquire about an in-house Working With Diverse Cultures workshop.